Crochet colorful bird ornaments for your own Christmas tree or to give to friends and family. Each bird only uses a few scraps of yarn. The birds have a simple construction, therefore this would also be suitable for beginner crocheters or those without much experience.
This post may contain affiliate links. It means that if you purchase a product I recommend, I may earn a small commission with no added cost to you.
What you need
- Small amounts of yarn in your chosen colors. The yarn can be any weight but they need to all be about the same thickness. I used sports weight 100% cotton.
- Crochet hook that goes with your yarn. My hook was Clover Amour size 3mm.
- Small amount of stuffing. TIP: Buy a cheap pillow and use the filling from it for any stuffing you need!
- Glitter yarn for the hanging loop
- Large needle and scissors. I prefer using sharp needles for any yarn work but you may like blunt ones, both are ok.
Apart from Christmas tree ornaments, these birds look lovely as party decorations both inside and outside. You can also string several of them together either to hang downwards or as a garland. And make them in white or silver for wedding decoration!
The instructions for the bird are on a step-by-step video. My YouTube channel Crochet with Tuula Maaria has now reached 225.000 subscribers and gets around half a million views each month. Check the channel out for lots of crochet tips!
See also a pattern and tutorial for mini wind spinners/icicles as Christmas tree ornaments!
Pin the Crochet bird tutorial